Galentine’s Day is definitely one of my favorite holidays – a day to celebrate how awesome women are by bonding with and appreciating the women in your life. The day came about thanks to my personal hero, Leslie Knope, on season two of Parks and Recreation. The holiday is now a pop-culture phenomenon that is being celebrated by most women, even those who aren’t aware of the greatness that is Leslie Knope.
“You know my code, hoes before bros. Uteruses before duderuses. Ovaries before brovaries.” – Leslie Knope
I honestly don’t know where I would be without my girl squad. My friends support everything I do and encourage me to keep pushing towards my dreams. They have been there for me through thick and thin, and I honestly wouldn’t have as much confidence as I do right now without them. I always tell them how much I appreciate them, but we usually get together every Galentine’s Day and hang out over drinks, sweets, and other boss women. My friend Kat (of Delirium Style) and I decided to throw a Be My Galentine event this year, to invite the women of Orlando to come out to our favorite nail salon (owned by one of the best girlbosses I know) and hang out with us over food, drinks, and some fun surprises.
“I am a Woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal Woman, that’s me.” – Maya Angelou
With the rising popularity of the holiday, there are plenty of ways you can celebrate your Galentine’s Day:
– Host your own Galentine’s Day get together with supplies from the Target Dollar Spot, Home Goods, and TJ Maxx
– Go to a local Galentine’s Day event
– Invite your best gal pals over for a feel-good movie with your favorite snacks and some wine
– Take that exercise class you’ve always wanted to take
– Turn it into Self-Care Tuesday… because you deserve it
– Let your best friends know how much you love and appreciate them
– Binge watch Parks and Rec (what I would be doing if I didn’t have to work all day)
– Do something your younger self would thank you for
– Listen to my Be My Galentine Spotify playlist while doing whatever you need to get done (what I’ll actually be doing)
“Never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” – Hillary Clinton
This Galentine’s Day, take the time to not only encourage other women; spend time doing something that fulfills you, or reflecting on what you want to accomplish this year. I’m personally making it a mission to spread messages of confidence, empowerment, and love, and I feel like Galentine’s Day is the perfect day to start that. Even though it’s one day of the year, it really sets the tone for how you treat yo’self (another Parks and Rec holiday) for the rest of the year. Be bold and unapologetic when it comes to chasing your dreams and encouraging others. You’ve got this. Happy Galentine’s Day!