Hi lovelies! It doesn’t really feel like it this year, but it’s almost officially winter, aka my favorite season to dress for. With the holiday season starting, it’s a great time to mix up textures, prints, and colors. The first thing on my winter wishlist is to have an actual winter this time around. As for realistic expectations, I put together a set of pieces I’m planning on adding to my wardrobe this season.
1. Fur Coat – These are perfect for throwing over a Christmas/NYE outfit, or even jeans and a sweater. I was able to get a faux fur coat from Missguided during their Black Friday mania, but they’re available just about everywhere. The one pictured is from River Island. There are so many different styles to choose from, from very fluffy to not-so-fluffy.
2. Feathers – Looking at my wishlist overall, it’s no surprise that one of my major winter influences is Scream Queens. I love that the Chanels add feathers to their outfits to make themselves look more glam and dramatic. This two piece set from Missguided is super cute, although I’m not sure if I can pull off the full ensemble – I just ordered the crop top.
3. Sequins – Sequins are always one of my go-to’s around New Years. I’ve been seeing some visually stunning sequined crop tops lately, and you can’t forget the sequined pieces from the HM x Balmain collection. Some of my favorite places to snag sequined pieces from are Topshop and Nasty Gal.
4. Velvet – Velvet usually makes a big comeback every winter, and this year is no exception. I feel like it makes jewel tones look really rich, and makes black stand out more. I’m actually wearing a velvet midi dress from Missguided for Christmas, and I’m considering adding more velvet to my closet. American Apparel has some pretty sweet velvet basics!
5. Ripped black jeans – These would have been on my fall wishlist, but it was too hot this fall to wear anything longer than bermuda shorts. They go with just about everything. Topshop jeans are an absolute dream, but Fashion Nova also carries ripped black jeans with a nice amount of stretch at an even nicer price.
6. Suede leggings – Suede leggings add such an interesting element to an otherwise plain outfit. I would definitely rock them with the lace-up blouse in the picture, as well as a plain graphic tee and heels. They are becoming fairly common this season, but the ones in the picture are from H&M.
7. High waist wool trousers – You can’t go wrong with a pair of wool trousers! They can easily be taken from day to night if you work in a professional setting. Bonus points if I can also find them in a winter white. My main problem is finding ones that are long enough, so if anyone comes across a pair with a ‘tall’ inseam, please share 🙂
8. Oversized sweater – Oversized sweaters are another winter wardrobe staple, just as long as they’re not too oversized. I suggest buying at least one neutral color and one fun color – for me it’s a pastel color. It’s also fun to play with different hemlines. I got my neutral sweater with an asymmetrical hemline and my ‘fun’ sweater with side splits. Forever21 usually has good sweaters, as well as ASOS and Aritzia.
9. Lace-up blouse – The lace-up trend is still around! I like lace-up blouses because they can be dressed up or down, which is a common theme here. I’m leaning towards earthy colors with these, especially camel and olive. The blouse pictured in the set is from River Island, but these blouses can be found just about everywhere.
10. Blush handbag – Pink is my favorite color, and I absolutely love wearing blush tones in the winter/early spring. A blush handbag was actually one of the top things on my Christmas list, because it adds a really pretty touch to neutral outfits. Michael Kors has a lot of blush styles that are selling out quickly, but I’m sure other retailers will be jumping on the blush handbag train soon.
11. Choker – Chokers came back in a major way this fall, and it’s definitely something I’ll be carrying over to winter. The classic black choker is a nice start, but I’m on the search for chokers made out of different materials for the winter. Etsy is a really good place to look!
12. Suede ankle boots – Last year, I became a fan of ankle boots. This year, I’m obsessed with sleek, suede ankle boots. They look great with both jeggings and skirts, and if taken care of properly, they’ll last a good while. Topshop has an amazing selection of suede and leather ankle boots.
13. Fringed clutch – With all the holiday parties and events to attend, clutches are necessary. I personally like to buy fun clutches that still compliment the majority of my clothes. This clutch from Mango is actually on sale right now, and Zara carries a similar one. As I’ve said before, I love fringe in moderation.
My goal this winter is to be able to introduce different fabrics and colors into my wardrobe, and this is a pretty good start (in my opinion). What’s on your winter wishlist? Let me know in the comments!