Read more for swatches, my thoughts, and application/buying tips!
For me, buying nude lipsticks online is a gamble, especially with new brands. There usually aren’t that many swatches on girls with brown skin, so I have a hard time gauging whether or not something will look good or too chalky on me. I took a risk and ordered all of the nudes from Kylie Cosmetics and I was pleasantly surprised.
Koko K on the left, Dolce K on the right
Koko K is a light pink-y nude. In my opinion, it’s just a lighter version of Candy K. It’s the perfect springtime nude, but it takes a lot to work with if you have darker skin. I can’t use the Koko K liner at all (it’s way too chalky), but I used MAC’s Whirl lip pencil and blended the lipstick into the liner with a lip brush. Koko K is more high maintenance than the other shades, since when it starts to dry your lips, it looks a little chalky. I wore it out to dinner and it held up pretty well, but I’m not sure if it would have the same effect using the Koko K lip pencil.
Dolce K is a brown-ish nude on me, but it does look darker on lighter skin. I was able to use the lip pencil just fine, but I think next time I’ll try it with a brown lip pencil to add dimension and longevity. When I first wore Dolce K, I had a salad for lunch, and it looked like a mess on me afterwards. I’m going to try again since the oils in salad dressing are expected to remove whatever is on your lips. It was somewhat drying, but nothing too uncomfortable.
As I mentioned above, Candy K is essentially just a darker version of Koko K. I was able to use the Candy K lip pencil, but I darkened the outer corners of my lips with MAC’s Absolutely It lip pencil. I really like how Candy K looks on my skintone! It’s the closest Kylie Lip Kit color to Kylie’s signature mauve lip from last summer. This shade was also drying, but nothing unbearable. I was able to wear it for six hours before reapplying.
Candy K on NC42 skin, no flash
Koko K (top), and Dolce K (bottom) on NC42 skin, with flash
Top: Candy K | Middle: Koko K | Bottom: Dolce K
My overall verdict is that these lip kits are nice if you need the colors, but I’ve found the same quality at Colourpop for way less. I also find Kat Von D’s liquid lipsticks to be better wearing than these. I hope that Kylie Cosmetics will one day sell the lipsticks and lip pencils separately for people who don’t benefit from using the lighter ones. They do, however, make awesome presents for makeup lovers! I’m excited to see what else Kylie comes up with.
If you’re still trying to get your hands on a Kylie lip kit, here are some tips:
– If you don’t want to download her app (where she posts restock dates), follow a makeup update account that will let you know her restock dates
– Look up swatches of each shade on your skintone to see which ones you want
– On launch day, have a browser window open on your phone on the Kylie Cosmetics website
– Around the 00:59/00:30 mark leading up to the launch, start refreshing
– Have your credit card info saved on your phone (I find that autofill settings are the most efficient way, but it’s up to you and how secure you feel with having your info accessible on your phone)
– Add your products and check out ASAP. Inventory is not held so you are at risk of missing out the longer you take!
– Enter your details and confirm in less than a minute after the launch
I hope that helps everyone. 🙂 There is a restock coming tonight at 7 PM EST/4 PM PST of all the currently released shades! Kourt K, a deep purple tone, will be released sometime before the end of this month.